Author: Briana "Symmie" Simmons
•11:00 PM
Worship practice was getting a slow start because of some sound issues. So, when Chris came up to me at about 6:30 stating that he needs my translating skills I was somewhat taken aback. Chris speaks Spanish fluently so he didn't need me there, all I could think was Sign Langauage. Chris helps oversee the children's ministry so I couldn't help but wonder why Chris had waited until the last minute to have me translate something for the kids. These were my confusing thoughts as we walked out of the sanctuary. Then Chris explained, "theres a guy here that I think needs food but he's deaf so do you think you can talk to him?"

A little more back story here, the last time I signed with a deaf person was about 9 years ago. Since then I have signed with a few hearing friends but that's different because we can always revert to talking when we don't understand each other. I haven't been in a formal classroom in about 10 or 11 years. To top that off, 10 years ago I was not very good. I was ok with classroom sign language but in real life conversations I struggled.

Ok, so needless to say I was slightly nervous but thank God I didn't have much time to think about it. I went up to him and began signing. He was obviously having a hard time understanding. Then he said something and I struggled catching what he was saying. Finally I realized he was telling me he's from Mexico.

Another side note, Sign Lanuage is not universal. I learned American Sign Lanuage which is one of several sign languages in USA. Mexican Sign Language, while similar to ASL, is a different language with different signs and grammar rules.

So, then Chris, who is fluent in Spanish, wrote down ?puedes leer? (can you read) and showed it to him. He said a little. It was crazy. I was signing, he would understand a little, he would sign I would understand a little, Chris would speak and see if he could read lips in Spanish, then write...etc. etc. etc. It was quite confusing.

The miracle however, was the fact that he was sitting through service, I sat near in case he wanted to try and have me translate. Halfway through he asked me to sign and so I did. Remember, my signing skills 10 years ago were average, add 10 years of forgetfulness, a gentleman who signed a different language and the fact that Pastor Pat was teaching on the validity of the Bible and the Tribulation. Not the easiest topics to sign!!! During this time, he was nodding and understanding and repeating back some of the things I was saying. God was performing a miralce!

As soon as service was over...still couldn't understand each other. It was totally amazing!

Please pray for him. I do not know if he knows the Lord, I do not know if I was signing things properly enough for him to understand but I am trusting God for that. Pray that he understood what God wanted him to. Pray that he will be able to find a job and get his feet under him.

Thanks!
|
This entry was posted on 11:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 comments:

On October 9, 2008 at 10:37 AM , Brent, Cathy, and Aaron said...

Praise God! I am sure that even though you don't know if you got through to him or not, I know that God used you to plant a seed in his heart! This reminds me when we were in Okinawa and my friend (who knew a little bit of ASL) ended up translating for a Japanese deaf woman. It was crazy because I knew that not only was there a sign language barrier, but a language barrier as well. But she was faithful to sign to her during the services, and praise God that the woman ended up receiving the Lord in her heart. It was awesome because my friend said that she kept messing up but God used her anyway.

God uses us regardless of what we can do... ;-)

 
On October 9, 2008 at 8:57 PM , Briana "Symmie" Simmons said...

Thank you for sharing that story. Thats so encouraging because I have been praying and praying that one particular thing I said wasn't misunderstood (easily could have been).

I think he might actually be saved already, only because of the joy that was just shining through him. But haven't had time to really have a good old fashioned conversation. I will try to find some time next week. Pray pray pray!

 
On October 9, 2008 at 10:17 PM , Julee Huy said...

That is so neat! It would have been cool if someone really, really cool had sent you a video of someone doing ASL recently so you could remember some... oh wait, it was ME!! :)

Just Kidding.

Neat story. One of those things where you throw out the seeds and let God do the rest. You were faithful to use what you could and were willing to be used in your weak areas. That is so cool!

Loved that story!

 
On October 9, 2008 at 11:19 PM , barnettblend said...

Make sure you keep us updated... :)

 
On October 11, 2008 at 12:57 AM , Briana "Symmie" Simmons said...

Juls that's funny...it probably did help me a lot to have seen that video...can you have your friend do one in Mexican Sign now??? :)