Author: Briana "Symmie" Simmons
•12:57 AM
My cousin has recently been posting about a dear friend of hers that is now with Jesus. Reading her posts has caused me to remember some of the times that I have had the honor of taking part in the Celebration of Life services of different families. Some I have known very well and was mourning right along with them, and some I did not know and prayed to be used as a tool of God in their lives as they mourned.

Prior to ministry I had attended 1 funeral in my life. That was it. Just 1. I was terrified of losing someone close to me simply because I had no idea what it would be like. Obviously I do not want to lose anyone close to me now but the thought is no longer a terrifying thought. Now I understand the whole idea that death is a part of life and that we have the hope of heaven.

One thing that I have been pondering a lot lately is the fact that I am beginning to look forward more to doing funerals than weddings. Since I am in full time ministry I have had many opportunities to participate in both weddings and funerals. Weddings are beautiful and amazing and I love them. I love being part of making someone's day what they always dreamed it would be. But they are soon over, they are forgotten, they are not life changing for everyone involved, only for the Bride and Groom and maybe some family members.

Funerals on the other hand have shown me that they can be life changing. I have seen more people change their lives and start living for God after a funeral than after a wedding. I have watched more people learn to be more caring and work on their relationships after a funeral than after a wedding. The honor of being part of the day is the same. Whether its running sound, turning on the lights or simply hugging someone who is hurting, I know that God can use me as His arms to hug His children who are mourning. There is something hugely humbling about being used of God through a death than there is for a wedding.

Don't get me wrong, I still love weddings and I don't wish pain on anyone. But given my choice, I would prefer to be a funeral director rather than a wedding planner. Strange to say but it is true. If you think I'm crazy it may just be you don't understand. But think of it like this...have you ever had a life changing painful time that brought you so close to Jesus. So painful that you would never want to relive it but so intimate with Christ that you never want to forget it?

Its like that.
|
This entry was posted on 12:57 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: