Author: Briana "Symmie" Simmons
•11:57 PM
So what was previously on my top ten experiences of my life has quickly become a norm for me. Tonight was the 3rd time I interpreted for my deaf friend Juan. He has been going to the library and studying ASL and we are communicating now. During service I was able to truly relax and enjoy my time interpreting, I slowed down a lot and didn't feel a rush to sign every word Pastor Pat spoke but was able to convey more of the concept. After service Juan and I were able to talk and visit. I think I will finally be able to start asking some of the questions that have been driving me crazy. For instance, I haven't a clue how long he has been in the states or what brought him here. I don't know what type of Mexican Sign Language he knows (or else I would be studying as well). I am very curious what part of Mexico he is from and what brought him here. And so on.

I forget who it was that said that this is truly the gift of tongues at work. I agree. Please keep praying for miracles. I need fluency and he needs understanding. I truly think he is a Christian because of the joy that just exudes from him. Several people have commented on that. Also, because tonight during our closing song he was worshipping. It was absolutely beautiful to look back and see him with both hands raised and eyes towards heaven just worshipping. Praise God!
|
This entry was posted on 11:57 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

On October 23, 2008 at 10:00 AM , tmshafer said...

So, now you have us all intriqued, please tell us what you found out about why he is here etc. How neat the Lord is waking up something you thought was slumbering, I remember when you were in school. How awesome!

 
On October 23, 2008 at 1:42 PM , Breanna said...

Wow! That's so cool! Is it hard interpreting? I keep going back and forth on whether or not I want to go farther in the interpreting program. We'll see....

 
On October 23, 2008 at 10:01 PM , Briana "Symmie" Simmons said...

Well I only see him when he comes to church, I don't have any way to ask him the questions yet. But I will try if he comes to the church dedication tomorrow night!

Bre, it isn't as hard as I would have thought. But definitely don't go by your first experience as you will be nervous and it will be more difficult. But you are involved at CSDR so you will have a lot of interpreting opportunities that are more casual and ease you into it. You will get the feel if you should continue or not.