Author: Briana "Symmie" Simmons
•11:58 AM
I was interpreting for Juan on Wednesday night and Pastor Pat used the phrase "May the fleas of 1000 camels infest your armpits" Of course everyone was cracking up, including me. I had no idea how to sign it! Juan was looking at me waiting to see what was so funny and I was trying to figure out how to explain fleas!

On a side note Juan is profoundly deaf, he uses no voice at all. It is very rare when you hear a sound coming from him.

Finally I figured out a way to do it. I told him "You know the bugs on a dog that make you scratch? Well 1000 of those from a camel living in your armpit" He instantly put his Bible up to his mouth trying to stop himself from laughing out loud. Even then a small laugh escaped. It was really funny to watch as he tried to be quiet.

Later in the message Pastor Pat was talking about God's care of us being like nursing mothers. I did fine with that. I just said a mom with a baby. But then he started explaining it. How moms eat meat and then give the baby milk. Fine, I signed that mom's eat and it changes to milk for the baby. Then he started explaining the bond that mom's get because the baby is literally attached to them.

You must understand, sign language is all about pictures. You act out stories and explanations.

I looked at Juan and said, "I'm sorry, a guy needs to sign this for you." He laughed again.
|
This entry was posted on 11:58 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 comments:

On November 7, 2008 at 3:56 PM , barnettblend said...

That was funny.. I was getting a visual on how you would sign the breastfeeding part.. :)

 
On November 7, 2008 at 7:28 PM , Julee Huy said...

Oh mY! So was I!! That is so funny!

 
On November 7, 2008 at 7:28 PM , Julee Huy said...

Oh mY! So was I!! That is so funny!

 
On November 7, 2008 at 8:24 PM , Breanna said...

Hehe....the joys of interpreting.

 
On November 8, 2008 at 12:44 AM , Briana "Symmie" Simmons said...

LOL, I love hearing the reaction of those who understand. Everyone else laughs but, not knowing sign, I don't know if they truly understand the significance of trying to sign breastfeeding :)

 
On November 11, 2008 at 6:42 PM , Julee Huy said...

Hi CC Bri I like your blog alot I miss you so so much I hope you will visit soon ,your great neice Katie Ann