Author: Briana "Symmie" Simmons
•10:26 PM
I was watching a DVD teaching today from the CC Pastors' Wives' Retreat and the final teaching of the retreat was amazing. I was crying throughout. At the very end though she started talking about Kathy Laurie. Many of you know that Greg and Kathy Laurie's son was killed in a car accident several months ago. Well, this teacher (sorry, I don't know who it was), is a close friend of the family and was there for some of their most painful moments. The things she saw in her friend Kathy was first great grief and second the Holy Spirit and Scripture just pouring out of her as she ministered to her daughter in law and her husband. The teacher explained that she was blown away by the things that Kathy was saying at such a time and God spoke and told her, "All that time that she has spent in My presence and in My Word is coming out of her now at her greatest tragedy."

It makes so much sense. When an olive is pressed the oil comes out. It really got me thinking though, what will squeeze out of me at times like that? What squeezes out of me in the small trials? I need to be using my time wisely and spending it soaking up Him and His Word so that when trials come, little or big, insignificant or life-changing, I will pour out the oil of His Spirit.
|
This entry was posted on 10:26 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

On January 11, 2009 at 12:18 PM , tmshafer said...

Thanks for your post, just the things that have been on my heart lately. May I be found faithful in all things, in every circumstance, giving all the glory to HIM. May His Spirit have His Way with us always!

Love Traci

 
On January 11, 2009 at 8:06 PM , Julee Huy said...

I have thought of this often when speaking to struggling newlyweds. It isn't the other person that is causing the things that are coming out of you, it's just revealing what was already there. I have heard someone speak of a ketchup bottle idea - you squeeze it and ketchup comes out because ketchup was in it, the squeezing didn't create ketchup just revealed the ketchup already there.

My biggest struggle is the struggle with the urgent. If I feel overwhelmed or rushed, then I let go and the yelling and craziness that ensues is not pretty!The ugliness that comes out is always there, that just triggers it the quickest! :)

Great post, so thought provoking, may God prepare us for those times when when we are drowning, but for His mighty hand. May we ever strive to seek Him while in the calm!

 
On January 12, 2009 at 10:49 PM , barnettblend said...

You know I was thinking of this a few days ago.. how I was always worried of this same thing - when tragedy strikes what will I do? Will I cling to God?? And then remembering when I went through my divorce and it was such a hard time for me and when I look back it was easiestly the closest I've ever been to God. I just felt so sure of God.. and Bible verses I never thought of would just come to mind. It was weird and yet really neat.