Author: Briana "Symmie" Simmons
•9:46 PM
Many people are lactose intolerant I have decided to become lactase intolerant. Lactase is the enzyme which my body lacks and causes me to be lactose and soy intolerant. So I take an enzyme supplement to help with the foods that I cannot monitor (I try to avoid soy and milk for the most part).

Today I spent a good hour reading label after label in the store trying to find the enzyme with the most lactase in it. Here is what I found:

Some companies measure lactase with something called ALU, some with LacU, some with mg and some with FCC...oh wait...one more uses U/G.

I finally went to the counter with four different bottles and explained my dilemma, I got this:

"Really? That is weird...I don't know. Maybe I can look it up online."
"Yes please, I am trying to figure out which one has the most lactase in it and have no way of comparing."
Type type type...asks me dumb questions so I have to explain all over again what I am trying to do. Type type type.
"It says here that there is no conversion possible between mg and FCC"
Ok, dummy, that doesn't help me, find something that does convert! So I say,
"Well what about ALU and LacU"
Type type type
"One ALU is equal to one LacU"
"Ok thank you"

I actually had a million more questions, like WHY DO THEY USE SO MANY MEASUREMENTS!!! and what about ALU to mg, or FCC, and so on, but I was tired of talking to that guy and had a headache from reading so many frustrating labels. In the end I got a months worth of something for $30. THIRTY dollars for one month! YIKES!!! Lord help me find something better.
|
This entry was posted on 9:46 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

On January 7, 2009 at 11:22 PM , barnettblend said...

I am really confused.. I don't think I understood a word of that..

 
On January 8, 2009 at 12:10 AM , Briana "Symmie" Simmons said...

Haha...sorry. I was thinking of my cousin who could write this blog much more technically and leave me in the dust. I think she needs an honorary doctorate in......I dunno, something!

Anyways, a couple quick clues, two words I was throwing around, LactOSE and lactASE. Big differents. Lactose intolerance is not being able to digest milk. LactASE is the enzyme (don't ask me, something in your body) that helps you to digest milk. I am low on lactASE so I am lactOSE intolerant.

Other quick thing...all the initials for measuring...nobody really understands those...they are all a crazy mix up and thats why I was frustrated :)

 
On December 4, 2009 at 12:30 PM , sammy said...

NEVER buy enzymes based on milligram weight. Enzymes are measured by activity per gram, with some more 'pure' than others. It's very comparable to gold. You can buy an ounce of 12k gold or an ounce of 24kt gold, but both differ significantly by price. Same with enzymes. Always compare enzyme products by activity per dose/capsule/bottle. 1 LacU = 1 ALU. FCC stands for food chemical codex, which is one organization that provides the guidelines for the assay of particular enzymes.

Hope that helps, even if this post is nearly a year old.