Author: Briana "Symmie" Simmons
•6:59 PM
There is an ideal age that I want to hit. I can't tell you exactly when it hits but you know you have hit it by the outcome.

You see I used to live by the motto "who cares, we will never see these people again." Of course that was when I lived in Southern California and the statement was true. Now that I live in a small town it is no longer true. I teach a lesson about purity and use my goldfish as a visual example of how boundaries are healthy and I am pegged as a fish killer for life (please note the fish was fine, he lived to a very old age for a fish, especially a feeder fish).

So the age that I want to reach is that age where you get away with things. I don't mean things like crimes, no age is above that. I mean just silly cultural oddities.

Like wrinkled clothes. Who cares if my blouse has a big wrinkle in it. It means that I fell asleep on the sofa this afternoon. It means that I have learned that ironing is a complete waste of my time. It doesn't mean that I am any less clean or competent than you.

Or skipping. Why is skipping looked at to be childish? It is truly a carefree way of expressing how you feel...carefree.

This is also the age where you are too old to hold a grudge. You have come to realize that people are stupid, people are cruel, people are odd, and who cares. You just shrug it off and love them anyways because...well...who cares. You aren't going to have to put up with them for much longer so you might as well laugh at them instead.

This is the age where you can give advice and people might actually listen. They don't listen when you are their parent and they are your kids living under your roof because they are at the prideful age of the teen who knows it all. They don't listen when you are the grandparent giving advice on how to raise their kids because they want to make sure they raise their kids differently...no they start listening when it is the age of humility. The realization hits that you truly did do what was best for them and that, in spite of all their efforts, they turned out just like you, and now they are proud of that fact...now they will listen to your advice.

So, when I reach the age of "who cares" I will truly have reached my goal age. I love this age. It is the best age to achieve. If you disagree...well...who cares.
|
This entry was posted on 6:59 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

On June 24, 2008 at 1:31 AM , barnettblend said...

hahahaaa! I want to reach the age where you can get away with a crime... :)

 
On June 27, 2008 at 10:30 AM , Brittany said...

Hey Brianna... remember me? Brittany the 10 yr old that went to Ireland with you? :) It's so cool to have found your blog, now I can keep up with you! :)

 
On June 27, 2008 at 7:46 PM , Briana "Symmie" Simmons said...

Oh my goodness! I am amazed, first of all that you found me, second of all how old I suddenly feel and thirdly...well thirdly isn't amazed its just an observation...you are a beautiful Godly woman! I want to catch up. Email me at symmie@att.net. I have a million questions, the first of which is how in the world did you end up in India?!