Author: Briana "Symmie" Simmons
•11:30 PM
Have you ever listened to the sound of language? I don't mean listening to a language, I mean paying attention to the melodious sounds that it makes. Whether it be legato (smooth) or staccato (uhhh...not smooth) it is all beautiful.

Amazingly enough when you are immersed into a culture with a language different from your own you begin to find ways to communicate. When first in El Salvador I relied on those interpreting for us and did not hear any of this. Then, after the interpreters got us to branch out on our own I listened for anything to help me understand.

However, by the end of the trip I was listening just for the beauty. Sometimes I would forget to try to comprehend. By that point it was not about what they were saying but about everything, body language, hand motions, a smile, laughter. It was all communicating.

Above is a picture of Taisel (TAH-ee-sell). A girl who I would consider very dear to my heart. She and I formed a connection that possibly would only be ruined by language. I don't know. She was playing the guitar and I sat next to her. What happened next I do not remember. But, somehow, we were friends. She was teaching me Lord I Lift Your Name On High in Spanish and I was teaching her in English. She showed me the beautiful dances that they do during worship and I showed her the sign language.

I suppose in this case our language became the music. It reminds me of the story that Brother Andrew tells of when he was with someone and the interpreter did not show. They began looking up Scriptures in their Bibles, pointing to the address (which is pretty simple to figure out) and reading it in their own language. They had a conversation for quite some time in this manner. Perhaps this is why the children would sit next to me as I studied for the next days teaching and look up the verses I was looking up.

I suppose this is enough musing for now. This post is rather long and from what I have said above, its not about length, its not about content, its about relationships. It's about the family of God connecting in a way only a family can, through the common ground of Christ in His love.
|
This entry was posted on 11:30 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: