Author: Briana "Symmie" Simmons
•10:50 PM

Social butterfly is a medical condition that must be treated with socialization. I am afflicted with this disease (once again proving that homeschoolers truly ARE socialized). What happens to someone with this disease if they do not get socialization? They sink into a depression.

This is what happened to me on Wednesday. Pastor Pat had unexpected meetings for the building that kept him out of the office until it was time for him to go home and study. Chris and I don't really work together since I'm more Pastor Pat's secretary and Chris is helping Al, Kim and the youth leaders.

It was these two factors that began the depression. By the time I got off work I was getting pretty low and feeling very sorry for myself. I was headed to a store to just mosey through and pray (that is often my solution to depression) when God reminded me of what I always tell everyone else. The best way to get rid of depression is to stop thinking of yourself and to do something for someone else.

But what can I do? It's 4:45 p.m. on a Wednesday, I only have an hour and a half until I have to be at worship practice, what can I possibly do? Then I remembered the Antonucci family. Three kids between the ages of 1 and 6, a husband that has to work until later in the day, getting ready for a Wednesday...do I need to wonder if Sylvia will need help with the kids before church?



Sylvia opened her door and let me in smiling and talking. As I came in I discovered God's sense of humor. Even though it was only 5 p.m. and Sylvia didn't plan on leaving for church until 6:30, she had already gotten the kids ready for church (even down to their shoes), had dinner on the table and was simply waiting for her husband to get home to start eating! Yikes!

So I discovered another solution for depression...a free meal and wonderful company!
|
This entry was posted on 10:50 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 comments:

On March 7, 2008 at 1:03 PM , ms. kate said...

hi symmie... did you hear of the recent california ruling that may affect homeschoolers?

The complete article can be viewed at:
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-homeschool6mar06,1,4399394.story

 
On March 7, 2008 at 1:18 PM , ms. kate said...

ok... so the comment above was for noticing 'homeschoolers' on your blog, which reminded me of the article. but now, to comment on your post, i totally agree with your solution for getting rid of depression: stop thinking of yourself and do something for someone else.

now, i just need the Lord to remind me on a daily basis. ;o)

 
On March 7, 2008 at 9:40 PM , Brent, Cathy, and Aaron said...

HI Symmie, you know, a couple of years before I was married, I surrounded myself with the married women of the church. I think I was trying to fill my time so I wouldn't get depressed. Anyhow, they must have figured it out because they let me hang out with them in thier homes and with thier families. I used that time to help out watching kids and helping around the house. I didn't know it then, but the Lord used that time for me to learn from watching thier lives and what they go thorugh during thier marraige and motherhood. Anyway I'm glad that you are using your free time to help out others. I'm sure it will be benificial for you later on.
;-)

 
On March 9, 2008 at 9:17 PM , Jerry's Precious Kim said...

Hey sis it was wonderful to chat with you the other night. I think there is a blue bug going around it's like the flu bug except it makes people sad instead of sick. It just seems like a lot of women have been saying that they have been fighting the blues.

The awesome thing about being a believer is that we have hope! Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. God is faithful!!

Sorry to be so long winded may be I shoulda just emailed you lol

 
On March 10, 2008 at 12:53 PM , Briana "Symmie" Simmons said...

Thanks Kim, I totally agree. It seems like it has been going around. Praise God for all our sisters in the Lord that we can encourage each other.

By the way, that card was so timely. It came right when everything was SO hard at work. It was such a blessing that I still have it out.

Oh and Cathy, I appreciate the thought and I understand what you are saying, but you have to realize too that God may keep me single. I am okay with that. I have often been told that I can't have the gift of singleness because I want to be married but nobody really knows that for sure. All I know is that God has asked me to be content with where He has me. If this is prep then great, if not then at least I have learned how to still be of use and bless others in my singleness.

I have also come to realize that all women struggle with lonely times. Its not whether you are married or single, its always. When I first learned that I was discouraged because I had thought marriage would fix it but I have since learned that God is my help and refuge. So I probably would have still had that same hard day even if I was married. Praise God I am learning to combat it!

 
On March 12, 2008 at 8:26 PM , Brent, Cathy, and Aaron said...

Hey Symmie,
You're definately right, women in all stages of life get lonely and depressed. It's good that you know that while you are single, because I didn't! I thought before that being married will mean that I will always have someone with me all the days of my life. ;-) Well, little did I know that being married (for me, at least) means being a single mom for half the year (while Brent is deployed)and having to understand his crazy work schedule when he is home, and having a 3 year old as my companion. :-) We have been married for about 4 years now, and I am JUST beginning to be content and getting used to being a military wife. ;-)