Author: Briana "Symmie" Simmons
•12:07 AM
Have you noticed the new look for this blog? Along the lefthand side are several boxes that allow me to put some small information out to you all. I decided it would be my spot to put some of my passions, some things that I would want others to be aware of and to check out for themselves. My way of raising awareness for some ministries on my heart.

I was writing the one on abstinence vs. purity and realized I needed a whole lot more space. This is a huge passion of mine and I am actually going to be speaking to our youth kids about this in February. Please keep me in prayer. The Lord has used this teaching in many settings and He refines it every time. It is a blessing for me to speak and hopefully make a difference in the lives of the next generation.

Purity feels more and more like a lost cause. It is becoming so acceptable, even in churches, to allow impurities in our lives that I don't think we realize half of the things that are causing our struggles with sin. I'm not talking simply about sexual sin, I am talking about all sin.

For example, I love food. I love to eat. My biggest struggle with weight loss comes with the the desire to give in to all my cravings. Its not really about whether the food is healthy or not (I actually like a lot of the healthy stuff) it is about how much of it I eat.

About two years ago the Lord revealed a trend in my life. When I was lacking self control in the area of eating it has, almost always, meant that I was lacking self control in other areas in my life as well. Which came first is like the chicken and the egg question, but I do know that the root of my eating problem was spiritual and was bleeding into other areas of my life.

The solution for me to eat better has been to go to the Lord and ask for forgiveness. Then to ask for help in the area of self control, in all areas of self control. Then I would find Scriptures about God being Lord over my life and my body and I would remind myself of those. Sometimes I would fast from specific foods or entertainment. It just depended on what the Lord was asking of me at that time.

What does all this have to do with abstinence vs. purity? Everything! Purity is a journey. Purity is lifelong and purity is all areas of your life. Abstinence applies simply to sex and ends when you get married. Purity focuses on your relationship with Jesus while abstinence just focuses on what not to do.

Lets be people of purity. Lets be a people that are constantly being more and more refined into the image of Christ!
|
This entry was posted on 12:07 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On January 31, 2008 at 10:24 PM , Julee Huy said...

I love the idea of "abstinence vs. purity." It's something you won't hear about often and I know personally you might feel like you're a voice calling in the wind. God is/has used your faithful stand of purity since you were very young and He will continue to use you still! I'll be in prayer for your study!

Tony is setting up a BIG purity conference this summer, he's been working on it for a little while now. I'm only telling you because you're both saying the word purity so you must be friends.

Ok, I'm crazy, good night!